The "Someday" Newspaper

Sunday morning is almost like Christmas morning to me.  I wake up and dive out of bed in my pjs, and rush downstairs to see what the newspaper man has left me. I say newspaper man because unfortunately we no longer live in the age of the cute little newspaper boy who would  ride around on his bike throwing out papers.  Between the Newspaper guy and the mailman, I'm having a tough time figuring out who pulls at my heart strings more these days.

Future Looking Brighter? No, but I do like the inserts this week :)


My Weekly Christmas gift I guess you could say. Except it's just for the coupons... and the ads... and I already know what inserts I'm going to get before I even get the paper...... Did I mention I pay for 3 of them each week.


I pay for three... but I don't always get three. It's been a war lately with the newspaper man over how many papers I "should" get. The past four weeks had been uneventful. He's stopped by, delivered three papers, and left. Rinse and Repeat. Great job! Totally tip worthy.

But this Sunday I woke up with only that guy pictured above all by his lonesome self.  Well, where the hell are your friends? I ordered THREE SUNDAY NEWSPAPERS DAMMIT. It irritates me to no end to have to call the Dispatch. Did I mention they are located in NEW HAMPSHIRE? I have to ask them almost every month to get their butts in gear and deliver my freaking newspapers.  Thankfully, the automated system worked this week and a very irrate newspaper man stomped on my steps and mumbled profanities under his breath while he handed over the other missing copies. Every time he misses a delivery, he comes back red-faced asking me why the hell do I need three of the same paper. I just smile, thank him, and close the door as quickly as possible. I don't know if he is testing me to see if I would notice I only got one paper or what. Ohh I do notice buddy, and I will be calling your supervisor to give him hell too.

Bad customer service. There are no words for how mad I get when someone does sloppy work and expects me to put something in the tip jar. Also, why the hell are there so many tip jars in the first place? A few weeks ago I went to a self-serve restaurant and they had a freakin' tip jar out at the register. WTF? So I'm tipping you to go get MY food? I have all the respect in the world for waiters/waitresses. They work damn hard and deserve the tips they earn from patrons who come to bitch about their food. The guy who sits there and presses a few buttons for me? I. Don't. Think. So. But I digress from my original diatribe...


Why the hell do you need 3 copies of the Sunday Paper?

I order three of the same Sunday newspaper because I use every single insert to save on my grocery and shopping bill. I know, I know what you'll say next. Well,  doesn't that cost alot of money?  When you factor in the savings from shopping with coupons during a sale, my newspaper ALWAYS pays for itself. I pay $27.00 per month for my Sunday newspaper service. I typically save over $200.00 every single shopping trip.  I also sell my services as a coupon clipper on eBay to recoup get rid of any coupons I don't plan to use. I haven't had a lot of time to work on this b/c of the bar exam, but now that it's over I'm running on all cylinders.

So here's some newbie couponer tip about the newspaper. Start with just ONE. I know it's tempting to go out and get a stack of papers, but trust me, when you're starting out, you need to just keep it simple. One Sunday newspaper each week for two or three weeks to start out with. Look online to see what inserts will be available each week. Typically, there are NO inserts in the Sunday paper if it's a holiday weekend. You'll find 1 Procter & Gamble insert per month, and on a rotating basis a Smart Source or Red Plum insert. It's very important to subscribe to the paper because the ad system places a priority on home subscribers. Therefore, you are more likely to get all of your ads if you subscribe than if you go to the store to buy the paper.  If you end up only getting one and realize you need multiple stacks of the same coupon, then you can always order it online .... errr.. from me (::: devious smile::) or another trustworthy coupon clipping service.

Once you get to know the sale ads and how to work the system, then you can be a crazy coupon lady like myself and order three at a time. Or four at a time. Four is a good number because many of the coupons are limited to "four like coupons per shopping trip." I don't order four because my parents send me their ads every week. But for now, just start with one and then work your way up to three or more m'kay?

Money doesn't grow on trees, but it does come in the newspaper,

P. Manolos

0 comments:

Leave a Comment

Back to Home Back to Top Pink Manolos. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.