Preparation is Key

I hate being unprepared to go to the grocery store. I remember all of the damn money I would waste back in the day, before I was converted to the Church of Clipping. I would fork over $100.00 per shopping trip and think I've got a good deal on stuff.

So you can imagine how pissed I was when I forgot to use my coupons to get $2.00 off my purchase at CVS today. You see, CVS has a fantastic deal on olive oil this week. Not just any olive oil, but Filippo Berio. Brand name stuff. Good stuff.  Did I mention I'm completely out and I've been using Canola Oil as a substitute until I found a good deal. Here's how the deal would have worked out in an idea world:



Buy 2 Filippo Berio Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
Regular Price $8.99, Sale Price $3.99 (On sale until 8/12)

2 x $3.99
-$5.00 ECB earned on the Dove Hair product deal
-2 $1.00 off Filippio Berio coupons 
= 0.98 cents for TWO bottles of Extra Virgin Olive Oil

I know, insane huh? Due to my epic failure to reach into my purse and get out my $1.00 off coupons, I spent $2.00 more than I had to. Still a good deal for Olive Oil, but I would prefer to keep the extra $2.00 in my pocket.

If you're still starting out, remember that the best way to save money, even without using coupons, is to make a list of everything you plan to buy that day. Be sure to check out how much you plan to spend.  Write down what you need and how much everything on your list will cost you. Stores take advantage of many shoppers by luring them into the store to buy a loss leaders, only to end up with a ton of stuff you didn't plan to buy in your cart. (Loss leader = lingo for items a store takes a loss on selling to lure customers into their establishment).

That's how CVS got $2.00 more from me than I planned today. I'm away from home attempting to coupon in a strange place and I completely got frazzled at the Register and didn't think to myself I need to pull out the rest of the coupons in my purse. [ did I mention Brown Eyes was with me? He's a big distraction from my savings game, let me tell yeah ;) ].

I'm $2.00 poorer dammit,

P. Manolos

I'm seriously thinking about heading back down to CVS tomorrow to get my discount. I'm not kidding you, I probably will wake up before volunteer (I don't call it work b/c I don't get paid) and see if they'll let me get my damn 2 bucks back.

0 comments:

Leave a Comment

Back to Home Back to Top Pink Manolos. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.