A Side of Dressing

Just got off the phone with a good friend of mine. His latest joke is that I dress like a hooker. I must admit, I do enjoy tall heels and fitted clothing, but to say that I should charge per hour for my services is a bit much......

You know those uncomfortable jokes that people tend to use because they don't have the guts to say something to your face? That's what it feels like each time he mentions my daring approach to everyday dressing. I'm not on a diet, don't put my dressing on the side. Keep it right there, on top of the salad.  I can handle a full serving of whatever you've got to dish out.  In translation: I can handle the criticism, don't feel the need to baby me by giving it out in hardy har har increments.

In retrospect, I should have responded with my explanation as to why I don't steer away from 3 inch heels. I embrace who I am as a woman wholeheartedly. I won't hide it with wearing tennis shoes, jeans, and sweatpants. I know so many feminist who believe that heels, makeup and skirts are all forms of patriarchy labeled with a size to add insult to injury. I reject their beliefs and supplant them with my own.

I am of the essentialist difference feminist thought. I embrace feminity and don't mind to show it off in all of its glory.  God made me who I am and I refuse to give into the conventions of what a man thinks is appropriate for the sake of their comfort. I refuse to feel insecure like so many women surrounding me. It's a damn shame when I hear girls talk about how 'fat they are' or how 'old they look.' Everytime I get around a group of my girlfriends its a race to the bottom to see who's got it worse.  Self-debasment should be a national women's sport- many of the girls I cross daily would win Gold.

So no, I'm not covering up any time soon. I'll continue to wear whatever fits my fancy in Vogue. If I have a low cut shirt I will balance it out a conservative skirt, pants, or maybe a fabulous pair of shorts (that threw my babe for a loop one day- shorts in winter!). I can't help what other people think of me, whether  I wear flats or a pair of Manolos. What I can control, is how I feel about myself, and damnit I feel great.

Seizure Dressing,

P. Manolos

0 comments:

Leave a Comment

Back to Home Back to Top Pink Manolos. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.