Let Them Eat Cake

 

My favorite homemade Pineapple Upside Down Cake. Never FAILS 


I'm no Marie Antoinette, but I do enjoy a good piece of cake every once in a while. During my frenzied study session at Starbucks, I ordered a cup of coffee and gave into temptation and ordered a red velvet cupcake.

Can't say I didn't know. As an amateur cook, I know the difference between a commercially created cake and a homemade version blindfolded. If you were to hand me any piece of cake/pie/cookie, I can tell you what it is, what's in it, and what's wrong with it (if anything). It's a tradition my mother handed down from her mother, and from her grandmother, and so on and so on.

I guess it's in my blood. So as I took a bite of Starbucks' Red Velvet cupcake, I nearly spit it out. Diagnosis? No real butter- just shortening. The crumb was too dry and airy- tell tale sign of how the commercial baking process cuts out a lot of flavor for the sake of mass production. The icing? Just plain butter cream, they didn't have to worry about balancing out the sharp flavor of buttermilk and food coloring because they probably didn't even use buttermilk in the cupcake so no need for traditional cream cheese frosting.

The sordid flavor didn't stop me from finishing the cupcake- if my Mom taught me anything else besides the importance of flavor she also taught me not to waste.

Impeccable Taste,

P. Manolos

0 comments:

Leave a Comment

Back to Home Back to Top Pink Manolos. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.