Mayfair Lady




I don't care enough about you to kill you. - Mike Delfino


I love prime time television. Among one of the many shows I love is "Desperate Housewives." Thanks to DVR I can watch it whenever I want. This week's (or last week I can't recall, I didn't watch the show when it aired) was the huge finale before the next half of the season starts in January. Mark Cherry told us we would get a plane crash on Wisteria Lane, but who knew the more interesting story would be a middle aged woman stabbing herself?

That story was Katherine Mayfair. Katherine was going insane this whole season after she broke up with Mike when he (surprise surprise) remarried his ex-wife Susan. At first it seemed comical, every Sunday night she hatched a different plot to get him back. She even made a fake plumbing call just so she could get him to come over her house in the middle of the night. Stalking, lying, gossip, whatever she could find she tried to use to get "her" man back.

It all seemed so comical and desperate until last week she attempted to get Mike's kid to believe his own mother stole Mike away from her. Mike was Mr. Nice Guy until that very moment. He hadn't confronted her this whole season, he was the quiet reclusive husband who felt sorry for his jilted-middle aged fling. He finally snapped when he realized the only person that could end her fantasy of getting him back was him.

Well, bravo for him, but never tell a woman it's over when she has a chef's knife in her hand. (It is a large knife and I'm using the correct term- a butcher's knife is wider and more of a square- sorry former knives saleswoman here...) We find out next week that Katherine stabs herself and ends up in the hospital, blaming Mike for wounding her-when the wounds were actually self-inflicted.

Things begin to unravel and Katherine lies in a hospital bed only to find her world beginning to crash around her. Her daughter finds out that her mother lied to her- Katherine was never married to Mike, they weren't living happy together and Susan never tried to stab her. It's in that moment that I realize I don't find this situation very funny after all- it's too close to home to make me laugh.

Why, you say? Because I see so much of the same pain I experienced last year in Katherine and I can understand why she did it. Now before you 51/50 me, let me explain.

A year ago, I too felt a stabbing pain. I felt my whole world crash around me as Mr. Passion left. I too had the future planned out- the holidays we would spend together, birthday cakes I would make and the weekends we would spend holding each other. He moved on and I was still in this place where I felt like we had something special. Even when I knew he was with someone else I just thought maybe things could change. It was like I was my own worst enemy, hoping that I hadn't lost something so precious to such a dirty, callous, horrible son of a.... well, you know.

It was only through time, support, and good friends that I was able to pull the plug and give myself a reality check. I gave myself time to grieve and separate reality from the 'dream'. Each time nostalgia would try to seep in I gave myself a push towards indifference. He is gone and frankly he wasn't that much to be excited about when he was here.

I think that was the only difference between Katherine and I. She didn't have the support of others and enough distance to know when to nail the coffin on her relationship with Mike. If her friends had only reached out to her sooner she wouldn't have needed her daughter to place her in a psych ward. If someone would have stopped to realize her 'connection' with Mike hadn't ended, she would have ended up in a much happier place. Instead her dreams and pain swallowed up the reality that sat before her eyes- he had moved on and married the woman he truly loved as she put her life on hold in hopes that if she waited long enough, her dreams could come back into play.

I turned in my Civil Procedure exam on Friday. I ran up and threw my exam in the box and went back to my chair only to realize I was within five inches of Mr. Passion as he turned in his. And you know what? I could care less. Of course I still dislike him, he was a bad human being for what he did and if karma is a bitch he'll get his in the end. What really amazed me was all I could think about was how Brown Eyes drove to my house and back to get my book, which I had forgotten on the kitchen counter literally 40 mins before my test. My dream come true was a 6 foot 1 catholic boy who would do anything he can to help me.

Moments like that, when I realize how lucky I am to have such a great man by my side make me realize how close I was to losing it all for a sniveling, angry, bitter boy who didn't have the courage to end things like a man.


Not-so-desperate House life,

P. Manolos

0 comments:

Leave a Comment

Back to Home Back to Top Pink Manolos. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.